Years and years ago, I modified a recipe for coleslaw that I found on a jar of mayonnaise. I lightened it up without changing the flavor or consistency of a traditional creamy coleslaw. No one I serve it to can tell that it’s different.
Healthier Creamy Coleslaw
- ⅔ cup light mayo
- ⅓ cup fat-free plain yogurt
- 1½ Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- ¾ tsp. salt
- 2 16-oz. bags shredded coleslaw
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
Combine mayo, yogurt, vinegar, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Add coleslaw mix. Combine well. The mixture will look very dry. Cover and chill at least 4 hours before serving. The coleslaw will shrink and become moist. Add freshly ground pepper to taste and stir. We like to serve with a pepper grinder on the table for diners to add additional pepper to taste.
- I buy my mayo from Whole Foods because their 365 brand does not contain soy oil unlike most national brands.
- I don’t use Greek yogurt as it’s much thicker & tarter than the regular yogurt.
- If you prefer to chop your own vegetables instead of buying the preshredded coleslaw, use: 1 medium head cabbage, thinly sliced, ¼ small red cabbage, thinly sliced and 4 medium carrots, shredded.
- Optional vegetables to add: thinly sliced sweet onions, thinly sliced green bell pepper or thinly sliced celery.